Skip to main content


During their time at UC Berkeley, students may need to address a concern they have within the University community. Per the UCOP Policy on Student Grievance Procedures (PDF), the campus is required to have grievances procedures to address some of these concerns. This page outlines some of the processes available to students to report these to the University for appropriate response and follow-up.

FERPA Violation Process

This procedure should be used for complaints regarding access to student records and for complaints alleging that student records are inaccurate, misleading, inappropriate or otherwise maintained in violation of student rights to privacy.
Disclosure of Information (PDF)

Student Conduct Process

This procedure should be used for complaints against students or student organizations who have allegedly violated the Code of Student Conduct.
Center for Student Conduct

Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination:

OPHD, (510) 643-7985, responds to and resolves reports of protected category discrimination and harassment (including race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services), as well as sexual violence/sexual harassment involving students, staff, faculty, and visitors. This may include violence and also harassment such as online or virtual harassment (including “doxxing” or “trolling”), and physical or online stalking behaviors, if the respondent can be identified and is part of the UC Berkeley community. OPHD can help you understand your rights, options, and resources, including campus and community support, and offers informal and formal resolution pathways.

Need help Navigating Matters of Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment?

First, you may wish to refer to the campus resource guides for detailed information about resources available for survivors of sexual violence and sexual harassment (SVSH). Campus resources include:

  • The PATH to Care Center (Confidential Resource) (PATH is an acronym which stands for prevention, advocacy, training, healing) Affirming, empowering, confidential support for those who have experienced sexual harassment, emotional abuse, dating and intimate partner violence, sexual assault, stalking, and sexual exploitation. Advocates bring a non-judgmental, caring approach to exploring options, rights, accommodations, medical care, and other resources. Advocacy services and consultations are available to all current and former UC Berkeley staff, faculty, students, visitors, anyone who has been impacted by someone affiliated with UC Berkeley, and more. Urgent 24/7 Support Care Line: 510-643-2005. Appointments: 510-642-1988. Website:
  • Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination (see details above)

Disability Grievance Process

Grade Appeal Process

  • This procedure should be used for complaints that grades in courses of instruction are based on the application of non-academic criteria.
  • Grade Appeals

Research Misconduct Process

  • This procedure should be used to address instances of misconduct within research activities within the University.
  • Research Misconduct


If you still have questions:

  • One resource students can access is the Ombuds Office for Students and Postdoctoral Appointees. If you would like assistance sorting through a campus-related conflict or concern, please contact them. The Ombudsperson will listen to your concerns, serve as a sounding board, explore options with you, and help you get a new perspective and determine the next steps to take. The office is strictly confidential and no one will know you have spoken with them unless you give permission. The only exception to this confidentiality is where there appears to be imminent risk of serious harm or danger. In the interest of maintaining confidentiality, the Ombuds Office requests that everyone seeking assistance contact the Student Ombuds Office by phone [(510) 642-5754] only and not by dropping by the office or by e-mail.
  • A second resource to assist students in navigating some of these processes is the Student Advocate’s Office (SAO). SAO is a student-staffed office out of the ASUC. They offer free, confidential casework services and resources to any student(s) navigating issues with the University, including academic, conduct, financial aid, and grievance concerns. All support is centered around students and aims for an equity-based approach. Students who wish to ask a question or open a case can contact SAO by email at, by phone at 510-642-6912, or by stopping by their office in Eshleman 412B.