Dear undergraduate, graduate, and professional school students,
We’re excited to begin a new year within our amazing learning community. Here are a few steps to take to help your semester start smoothly:
- Complete your CalCentral tasks.
Log into the CalCentral student portal to complete all outstanding tasks and resolve any holds.
- Prep for Financial Aid disbursement on August 14th
To receive your financial aid disbursement on time, complete your tasks in CalCentral as soon as possible and make sure you are enrolled in a minimum of 6 units. Use the Calculate a Balance Worksheet to determine if you’ll receive a refund or have a balance due after financial aid is applied. You may also want to create a spending plan.
- Set up direct deposit.
Get your money faster with direct deposit into the U.S. bank of your choice. Learn how easy it is. Need a paper refund check? Checks are mailed to your local address, so be sure it is up to date in CalCentral.
- Give delegate access to parents/guardians or partners.
Decide if you want to give your parents/guardians or partner delegate access to certain parts of your student account. Make sure they have their code phrase to view your financial information in CalCentral, pay bills, or to be able to speak to Cal Student Central.
- Review your finances.
Do your actual living expenses (i.e., housing, books, health insurance) differ from your Estimated Cost of Attendance? Request a Cost of Attendance Adjustment once the form becomes available.
- Officially register by August 18.
To officially register, make certain you have done these three things:
1) enrolled in at least one class;
2) paid 20 percent of tuition and fees (even if it’s not yet due) by August 18, and;
3) have no holds against your registration.
- Deadline to withdraw is August 22: If you do not intend to enroll in Fall 2023, you must proactively withdraw to avoid financial penalty, or you will be subject to the prorated penalties.
- New students should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to discuss the possibility of deferring before withdrawing.
- Late enroll, drop, and add fees: To avoid future late fees, pay tuition and fees in full, enroll and make a payment on the Fee Payment Plan, or apply for a Fall 2023 co-payable emergency loan (available August 16). Get more information on late payment penalties.
- As a reminder, the Cancel for Non-Payment (CNP) policy will remain suspended for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- NEW- Verify enrollment by September 15.
Check bCourses (or your bMail if your class is not on bCourses) during the first few weeks of the semester for prompts to “verify participation” in each of your courses by completing a reading assignment on Academic Integrity. This process is mandatory for all students, regardless of their financial aid status.
- We are here to help!
Need to speak with someone about financial aid, billing and payments, enrollment, or transcripts? Cal Student Central offers online, phone, and in-person advising. Learn more, including hours of operation. For other questions, please reach out to the applicable offices:
- Questions about SHIP? Contact University Health Services.
- Need help from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions? Find ways to get in touch.
- Housing questions? Contact information can be found here.
- Ask the chatbot questions 24/7/365.
Get your financial aid, registration, billing, payment, housing, and rec sports questions answered through text and video in English, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, and Vietnamese. It’s as easy as visiting the Cal Student Central, Financial Aid and Scholarships, Office of the Registrar, Housing, or Berkeley Rec Sports websites.
- Get access to key campus services:
- Pick up your Cal 1 Card; this is your campus ID card allowing access to buildings, debit accounts, meal plans, and university services.
- Register your AC Transit EasyPass to get unlimited AC Transit travel including local service in the East Bay and Transbay Express service to and from San Francisco and the peninsula. Learn more.
- Sign your Rec Sports Activity Waiver to ensure access to gyms, pools, group exercise classes, and more. Go to Cal Central, then “Notifications,” select “Rec Sports Waiver,” and hit “Accept.”
Have a wonderful semester and Go Bears!
Stephen C. Sutton, Ed.D. (he/him/his)
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
This message was sent to all undergraduate and graduate students.